Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Bliss Charm Quilt finished at last!


 Tonight I finally finished the quilt I started at Christmas. It's been a bit stop and start in terms of the time I got to work on it but it was definitely worth it!


I made this using a Moda Charm pack - "Bliss" by Bonnie and Camille. The sashing is a cream & white fabric I picked up some time ago, and the binding is from the Freebird range by Momo.

I used Kristie's McKinley quilt pattern and adjusted it slightly to make it a bit larger. I also decided not to do the flowers as I liked it without when I saw it coming together!



It's quilted in the sashing lines between the squares and on the edges of the squares. I used a natural coloured cotton thread for the quilting and was really happy with it.  I did the lines approx a quarter of an inch apart and they are slightly wonky but I love the effect.



This is the first time I have quilted lines so close together and I did find it a bit tricky but as its for myself and I like it, I'm pretty happy with it. It's not perfect but I learned lots making it and it gave me so many ideas for the 2 other quilts I'm working on at the moment.

I found this pattern really easy to follow and I love the way the charm squares are separated out. The sashing and the quilting technique help them to "pop" out of the quilt.

Its backed with some large pieces of "Bloom and Grow" fabric which are paired with a solid cream cotton and this compliments the colours nicely on the back.



I ended up machine sewing the binding although I had intended to handsew it to finish, purely because I couldn't wait to get it done and see it in my room!  I got a good even stitch on it and it looks very nice.The pattern in this piece of fabric is a geometric print and I was slightly concerned that it wouldn't look good as I cut it on the straight of the grain instead of on the bias but the way it flows from large to small print looks very natural and adds interest to the quilt.



I'm totally in love with it! Even Himself, who was a bit sceptical about the blue and green charms working in our living room (which is deep red and cream, with brown leather sofas) thinks it is fab - high praise indeed! Looking forward to wrapping myself up in tomorrow night on the sofa watching some tv!



I've posted up this link over at Fabric Tuesday on Quilt Story, on Sugar and Dots and Thrilling Thursday on www.paiselypassions.blogspot.com

25 comments:

Kristie said...

Yay, Sarah!!!! I love it, too! It looks great, awesome job and congrats on your first quilt! I am sure this will be the begining of a long addiction ;) I lovethe Bliss charms paired with the neutral, your quilting looks fantastic, and I LOVE the binding print! Have fun snuggling with it tonight!

Dorian said...

You've done a lovely job! I like the way it's quilted, shows off the nice squares.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I love your quilt...the fabric you chose, the design, and it's beautifully quilted! Looks so comfy! :-)

Shelley said...

Your quilt is so gorgeous! The straight line quilting on it looks great.

LisaAnn said...

Beautiful job on this! I also love the way the blocks are highlighted with the sashing. Great quilt!

patchworkdelights said...

This looks great Sarah! Gorgeous choice of fabrics! Fi

Kelsey said...

Love the fabric you used for the binding!

Helen said...

Sarah, that is just stunning! I think this is the most beautiful thing you have made yet and I would love you to make one for me. I know that I have a never-ending list of things that I would love you to make for me but I will just have to add this to the list (but as it is for me you can put it at the end of the list). Well done babe, it's your best yet!

Unknown said...

That is so pretty! You are very talented. The colors you chose are so pretty together. Good job!!

Nancy

Brandi said...

How fun! I love it! Quilting is super addicting (as I am sure you already know!).

Looks amazing!

SewSara said...

looks greaT! i love the bliss fabric ... i just finished a quilt with that same charm pack so your picture caught my eye (from quiltstory). :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and I love the way you quilted it, really sets off the squares. Enjoy snuggling!

Quiltstory said...

I love Bliss fabric! Such a great choice and I love that pattern...we actually featured that quilt of Kristie's too!! Love your blog!

Melinda said...

Wonderful first quilt! I think I already had a few more planned before I finished my first quilt as well.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Very nice, I love the quilting!

Neoma said...

Such a lovely quilt from a charm pack! I like the "Bliss" package also! great job!

Megan said...

This is great! I just love that Bliss line, and in your charm quilt, just perfect! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday! Have a fabulous week!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

Thanks everyone for popping by to my little blog and for all your comments which have left me thrilled and delighted!

Kelly Rachel said...

Just found you via Red Pepper Quilts blog list! I love your style and am now a new follower!
It's funny, I have a bliss charm pack and sashing fabric very similar to what you've used, waiting for me to make it into a quilt!

Christy B said...

Yep, I am addicted to the Bliss also. Your quilting looks super!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

This quilt is so simple and so pretty (and I mean simple in a good way!) - and Bliss is just wonderful of course!

Jennifer said...

Oh wow, this is amazing! I love the way it turned out. I featured you today on my quilt round up :)

http://sunshineandchaucer.blogspot.com/2011/02/quilt-round-up.html

Marianne said...

Your quilt is so pretty and I really like the way you quilted it. You have inspired me to try something new for the next quilt I tend to do.
Thank you for sharing.

AllieMakes! said...

Your quilts are STUNNING! I want lessons from you!
You should come link this up to my weekly Thursday through Sunday Making It With Allie Link Party! I think it would make a Fabulous addition!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Unknown said...

WOW! It's beautiful! I love all the springy colors. Just stunning!