Friday, May 13, 2011

Walk In the Woods (It's a Hoot) Quilt Finish!


Here it is, my biggest quilt to date! If you're a regular reader, you'll already be familiar with the story of this quilt so feel free to skip the next little bit and enjoy the photos! If you're visiting my blog for the first time from the Blogger's Quilt Festival (or elsewhere!), welcome and I hope you pop back to visit often! Here's a little info about it.


This quilt is made for my goddaugher's First Communion. F is the eldest daughter of my oldest, childhood friend and I wanted to make something special for her to mark the occasion. I wanted something fresh and pretty, but not too pink and girlie, as I wanted it to be something that she would be happy to bring with her and use as she grew up. I spent some time browsing through fabric before deciding to use Moda's It's A Hoot - which is whimsical, colourful, full of lovely prints and quite girlie in an understated kind of way.

I drew up my own pattern for this quilt and it is made using two simple block types. One is a simple four-patch with a border, the other is a larger charm framed with a double border. The prints were so lovely they were crying out for fussy cutting techniques wherever possible and I think I managed to make the best use of the layer cake for the various squares.



I used white sashing to make the squares pop, and an additional skinny sashing block made from the scraps left over from cutting the frame borders around the outside edge. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

This is my 4th quilt ever and (I think!) my favourite so far! It's the first time I've made a quilt entirely from one line/range of fabric. Normally I mix and match elements I like from different lines, and I found it a little strange (and maybe a teeny bit limiting!!) to work totally within one line. It makes for a lovely quilt although I did miss the challenge (and those moments of utter satisfaction when something just works) of putting together my own coordinates more than I thought I would.


I used free motion quilting for the first time on a quilt for this one. Its not perfect by any means, but I'm very happy overall with it, even if it was a little challenging! I love the crinkly texture from the quilting :-) Because it was a special quilt I used backing from the same line - the Owls in raspberry


I went with the Marshmallow dots for the binding. I think I'm in love with the binding actually! The dots are much more striking than I thought they would be. And happily, I have a half yard left so I'll be saving that for binding for another quilt.


In summary -

Name: Walk in the Woods quilt
Fabric: Moda - It's a Hoot by Momo layer cake + yardage for sashing & backing/binding,
Batting: Warm & White
Quilting: First time free motion meandering
Measures: 69" x 56 "
Pattern: My own!



I'm linking this quilt up to the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side. As this was a huge project for me, you might also see it linked up on a pile of other great blogs ;-) including {Sew} Modern Monday, Fabric Tuesday, Sew Cute Tuesday and more- check out my sidebar for these links! If you'd like to see other quilts I've made, check out the tab link at the top of the page "Quilt Finishes 2011".

Amy's Creative Side | Bloggers' Quilt Festival


79 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Yay!! I'm commenting quickly before Blogger disappears again!! This is a terrific quilt!!

Kristie said...

Looks good, Sarah :-)

Gill said...

Great quilt!
I love the spotty binding

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

YAY! I love it, it turned out so beautifully! I send a photo to my mom btw of your sashing and she liked the idea for her birdbath quilt. Thank you for the inspiration!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Gorgeous! I just love it, Sarah!!!! I especially love your binding choice, it looks fantastic :)

Katie B said...

I love it, Sarah! I know your goddaughter will treasure it for many years. The little skinny patchwork border is perfect, and I adore your binding choice!!!

Ellie Roberts said...

Absolutely beautiful!!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Still love it...love seeing it all quilted up, it looks like a lot of work but you did a wonderful job!!

myBearpaw said...

Gorgeous quilt - love that dotty binding too!

patchworkdelights said...

Absolutely stunning quilt Sarah! Beautiful well done, a lot of hard work went into it and it paid off! Fi

Sara said...

Polka dot binding is my fave!! Love this line and your quilt is so fun and has so much life to it! TY for sharing!

Bec said...

Oh Its absolutley AMAZING!! i LOVE it!! and the binding..just sets it off!! xx Bec

Manda said...

This is a great quilt! Love the binding!

Janet said...

Wonderful quilt! I love all the dots - they definitely pop! Your goddaughter must be thrilled.

Kristen said...

Great quilt! That line has fantastic dots! Ooo just saw my blog on your blog roll! :) Thanks!!!

Megan said...

great job Sara!

Oxford Impressions said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I love everything about it. Good job on your free motion quilting too. I do FMQ all the time but never on a quilt this big. Congratulations!

Eileen said...

great quilt!! that is a great line of fabrics you've chosen and she will be able to love this forever. lucky girl. thanks for sharing and have a great day

Charlotte said...

This is utterly gorgeous, i'm so glad I have joined up to BQF this year as I get to see lovely quilts like this and discover new blogs

Cecily said...

Oh, it's beautiful!!

Cathy said...

I love it! - sew simple! - what size was your finished block then? cakilliany@hotmail.com

Jen said...

This is so beautiful! I just love it! Good job! Thanks for sharing this at Fantastic Friday!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Sarah, I just LOVE it. I have made two quilts with the Hoot fabric and used the same pink owls on the back. Makes for a happy girlie quilt. Your FMQ turned out just great! So impressed. You've definitely inspired me to give it a shot. :)
Lovely!

Lisa Echerd said...

fantastic colors! Really beautiful.

Allie said...

Oh so beautiful!!!!!!! This is a very happy quilt!

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh my. This quilt is just gorgeous!! Wow.

Laurel H. said...

You were right to fussy cut this; it looks great. Funny, but I have done more quilts within a particular line, than I have ones with lots of different lines/fabrics. :)

Kelli said...

Such a pretty quilt,I am sure she will love it forever!

CityHouseStudio said...

It's so, so pretty Sarah!
You must be so happy with it!

Karen said...

Beautiful! I love the way wide white sashing makes the blocks look like they are floating.

Karen said...

I think your design has worked really well with these fabrics. It is a beautiful quilt. I love the backing you have used and the quilting looks great, too!

Helene | 25reasons said...

Love this quilt! Such a happy quilt! Beautiful use of fabrics and colour, really gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Great quilt - I particularly love the dotty binding and the scrappy border.
Can only post anonymously at the moment hjpurvis2002(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk

Dana said...

I just love this quilt, I want one for me:-)

Lynne said...

I would be proud to take that through life with me - well done.

I'm a novice and have yet to experience working from one range of fabrics.

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt! The design is great. Hope the little girl loved it.

baukje said...

Lovely design and beautiful result

KendasCrafts said...

Looks great!

Pam - said...

Stupendous, fabulous, fantastic quilt! What a wonderful job you did with this!

Laura K. said...

So pretty! I love the It's a Hoot line, and I tink you did a great job with it.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I LOVE IT! so nice, well done.

Kelly Rachel said...

This is your FIRST time FM quilting?? SO jealous! It looks absolutely fantastic. And the binding is so perfect! LOVE LOVE

Quiltbenaco said...

Fantastica!

Shay said...

The quilting on this makes it pop. It's truly lovely and the nicest quilt I've seen using that line. Way to go on a gorgeous creation!

Kit Lang said...

what a wonderful gift!

Riel Nason said...

It really turned out so great. It is cheerful and fresh and lovely. Great job!!!

Quilt Genius said...

I just love it!

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

Jessica Kelly said...

Sarah, this is so awesome! Your quilting is fabulous, great job!!

Cynthia said...

I love this quilt! White sashing is the best and it does make those blocks pop! Great work!

Cindy said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love this quilt. Could we (myself and the 50 commenters before me) ask for a tutorial on making one of these blocks? They're so pretty!

Karyn said...

Love the use of negative space (ohhh, big idea bonus word usage)! Love the pops of color, the white, the patterns, the colors....I'm sure she LOVES LOVES LOVES this quilt and will treasure it for years to come

Brittney said...

Wow! Well done for your fourth quilt! I love this line and it looks so great put together in a quilt like this :)

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! Congratulations on the finish. I know your goddaughter will love it.

Taya@TypeB said...

Love the pattern! Congrats onyour first-time FMQing - it's awesome!

Sandra said...

love the variety in the pieced squares-- great job.
Very cheery, love the lime green.
Come see my entries #211, repro cheddar orange stars and #215 antique 1850 applique flower garden

Rachel // Maybe Matilda said...

Oh my goodness, SO beautiful! The pattern is gorgeous, the fabrics are incredible, and I love the free motion quilting--isn't it so fun?! You did such an incredible job! I love it!

Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

John'aLee said...

Oh so pretty!

jac. said...

Such a gorgeous quilt! I love the binding you used!

Sara said...

Knockout job on this one and I am sure your daughter will adore it for yrs and yrs and then some!

littlemissmk said...

super cute!

Marci Girl said...

Oh, I do remember seeing this beauty on Flickr! I love it, and love that it is your own design! Awesome!

Misty @Creative Itch said...

Beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

Desley said...

Very pretty quilt.

Emily S said...

Oh my gosh SO CUTE! I love the binding too. And the colors. And the texture. And everything about it! Wonderful job.

Emily
Deviantly Domesticated Team
http://stephaniehillberry.com

Kirsten said...

Such a lovely quilt - and I love dotty bindings too:)

Petit Design Co. said...

you did a great job with your own pattern! congrats

You can see my submission to the Blogger's Quilt Festival here: http://blog.petitdesignco.com/2011/05/bloggers-quilt-festival.html

Siobhan said...

Hi, your quilt is gorgeous. Love it :)

Stephanie Hughes said...

This is great! I love the colors and you have done a wonderful job. Can't wait to see more of your quilts.

Jenniffier said...

Wonderful!

SewHappyGeek said...

Hey, just a quick note to let you know I'm featuring you tomorrow on SewHappyGeek Feature Friday! Thanks so much for linking up, and be sure to grab a button!

Rachel said...

Lovely!! I think your design works perfectly with the fabrics you picked. Thanks for sharing your quilt with us!

Cheers!
Rachel
http://www.dewberrylane.com

Kate S. said...

Looks great and good job learning free motion quilting - I have been trying it on smaller projects but want to actually use it to quilt my next (baby) quilt :)

Jane said...

Wonderful quilt! Congratulations on the design & finish.

szkornelia said...

I really like this quilt, especially the colors. And you are right. Dotty fabric makes a nice binding.

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt. The colors just pop off the white - and the quilting makes it look so cozy! It is really beautiful!!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful gift. I love it. I featured it on my blog today.

sandra said...

What a sweet quilt, I love the fabrics wish I had a little girl to make a quilt for the fabrics are so cute.

Leslie said...

this is so beautiful....i love the fabrics

JustPam said...

I made your picture box quilt and may just have to make one of these. I have the fat quarter bundles of this fabric for my granddaughter and was going to go in a different direction, but I love this quilt. Is there a tutorial for this one?