Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Dreams Quilt

The Summer Dreams quilt is finished! Another summer sewing list item done :-)


This is a commissioned quilt for a Christening gift for a baby girl. It is based on my Sophie's Dreams quilt, using the same simple square pattern but with a slightly different selection of fabrics. I did stick with a similar colour palette though. I think for little girls the red and green combo is a good one. It avoids too much pink but is still girlie and pretty - but I did get some pink in there (of course!), especially some stronger pink values.


The backing is a pretty cream fabric with a small floral print with reds, pinks, and greens which I found in my local fabric shop. (They stock it in a number of colours and I love it, its a great backing/lining fabric). I appliqued the baby's name on the centre of the backing using raw edge applique - you can see the first few letters here. I like to make the letters a little wonky to match the wonky lines of the quilting.


Its quilted using the same wonky straight line method I used for the original Sophie's Dreams quilt, but I spaced the lines a little further apart this time. I do like the texture they give. This quilt fought me all the way when I was quilting it. I originally tried to do alternate straight & wavy lines but 5 lines in, it really wasn't working and I had to unpick all the rows :-( Even on the straight lines, nothing really flowed, I don't know why! Maybe because I took so long to baste it - it was on the floor for 3 nights because of my work schedule and I think that the fabric loosened out - the masking tape I used to hold the backing taut on the floor had come away in a few places but because I was almost done I didn't think much of it at the time, but I could feel it when it came to quilting.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with this one and I hope that it is well received by baby's mammy and J who ordered it.

Quilt Stats:

Name: Summer Dreams
Made For: Commissioned quilt for J - a Christening gift for her niece M
Fabric: A mix from my stash including Riley Blake's Rainy Days & Mondays and Bloom & Grow, Michael Miller Ta Dot, Ann Kelle Remix & Urban Zoologie, Alexander Henry Willow Wren. Momo's Freebird, Laurie Wisbrun's Tufted Tweets, Amy Schimler's On A Whim II (Owls & Cats) and lots more
Batting: Warm & White
Size: 59" x 51" approx
Quilting: Wonky straight lines
Pattern: Simple 7.5" squares

I'm officially on my holidays now so I think that posting might be very sporadic for the next couple of weeks as I spend a little quality time with the kids :-) But I will be posting an update on my Summer Sewing project the first week of July so if you linked up in May, get your posts ready for the mid-term review!! I can't wait to see what you've gotten done from your lists :-) You can also join in at that point if you want! I also have a new button for it if you want to grab it.

FairyFace Designs


I'm also linking this up to Lily's Quilts Fresh Sewing Day - it's my fave make of June!

Fresh Sewing Day


17 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Lovely quilt! Going to be loved, definitely x
Oh I better get a few more ticks if I want to be teacher's pet!!

The Sunflower Patch said...

Love your finished quilt,wonky quilting and all :)
Have a wonderful holiday with your family!

Jessica said...

Haha my mid summer report is going to be pretty small - but that's okay. I LOVE your quilt and how simple yet beautiful squares can be!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Lovey Sarah! Hope you are having a great time on holiday!

Canadian Abroad said...

Hadley will be teacher's pet. I'll be the one sunk down in my seat at the back of the classroom trying to hide!

Canadian Abroad said...

Hadley will be teacher's pet. I'll be the one sunk down in my seat at the back of the classroom trying to hide!

Druid Lady said...

Lovely little christening quilt. Your fabric selection is great. Can't wait to see your Summer Sewing project post. Have fun with your kids. Time spent with our children is too precious and soon flies away.

Cindy said...

Summer Dreams! What a great name to match a beautiful quilt :)

EEKK!! A summer goals update!?!?! I'm nervous already, but I'll post my progress when you post yours....

Enjoy your hols!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt. It turned out wonderful. One question, when you do the final quilting do you alternate the side you start on or start always on the left side of the quilt.

Thanks,
Sandra

Cindy said...

I love your new blog header - happy, bright and fresh. Well done!

C

memmens said...

Oh my not sure I dare look at my sewing plan...giving away on my blog right now though if that's an allowable distraction!
http://mary.emmens.co.uk

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

Oh my gosh, just seeing that quilt makes me feel happy. I love it. I just found your blog, and will be your newest follower. Another new quilting friend from "sew far away". How exciting. Please come visit me at my new blog, Ric Rac and Polka Dots. I'm brand new, but have so many fun things I will be sharing with everyone. We'll have lots of fun, that I can promise!! I hope to see you and your friends there.
Julie

Ric Rac and Polka Dots said...

By the way, I forgot to mention. My dear sweet mother and my sister both are redheads. I have the green eyes. There is Irish in my bloodline, that's for sure! Maybe we are long lost relatives . . . . .
Julie

contented caroline said...

Thought i would stop by and say hi saw your link on the japanese fabric swap group. Hello and lovely blog. Nice to meet you.

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

That is a fun children's quilt. Great job!
~Kimberlee

Nicky said...

sweet girly quilt - will be joyfully received i'm sure

Catherine said...

what a great christening quilt - it will be loved!