Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Wednesday update!



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


It's been a while since I did a WIP Wednesday, but I thought it would be fun to catch up this week.

Completed:

My Across the Sea quilt for mine and Jennifer's quiltalong. I was really pleased with how this turned out and totally thrilled to see everyone else's versions too!


In Progress:

I've been working on some baby boy pram blankets and quilts. This is one of the quilt tops I've made. Its based on the idea of a baby's building blocks. I quite like it but there is a lot of white space and now its done, I think its not quite right for the people I am making for at the moment. I'm wondering what you think? Is it worth continuing with - with no one specific in mind? Do you think I could sell it? (I normally only do quilts on request). I would really love some honest opinions on this one, I'm not sure how I feel about it.


I'm also working on a number of other quilt tops at the moment. But I have become a little distracted by the arrival today of this:



 

A gorgeous fat eighth bundle of the new Little Apples line.


Aren't they lovely!! I would love to get working with these straight away but must stay focused!!

Other good stuff:

I was super lucky in the Goodie Swap and am now the proud possessor of these two gorgeous swap packages:

Swap package 1 received
This one was the first to arrive, from lovely Emily over at Strawberry Patch.  I just love the fabrics and quilting on her mug rug, and adore the little fat quarter bag which is already in use! Thanks so much Emily!

Then a few days later, I got this equally amazing package from Laura over at Needles, Pins and Baking Tins. I just love the paper pieced mug rug - that piece of cake is fab! And the pincushion & needle book are so pretty and just what I need. Again, thanks so much Laura!

Swap package 2 received


Didn't I do well? How great are those packages. I love the way my colours are consistent in both, but they are so different in interpretation and design.  If you're not familiar with Emily and Laura's blogs you should definitely pop over and have a little look - they're both super talented and have lots of lovely projects on the go!

That's it for this week - I've been so busy finishing up the quiltalong there's not much else to report. Except that - for you Irish peeps - keep your eyes open for a giveaway for tickets to the Knitting and Stitching Show in Dublin in November coming later in the week! And for you Summer Sewing wrap up people, get your links in before the end of the week too :-)

Ok - linking up to Lee - get over there and check out the amazingly talented ladies linking up!

29 comments:

Annabella said...

You wanted honesty about the tumbling blocks quilt, and well...I totally love it and I would buy it in an instant where I in the market for one. I don`t think you need to do anything with it - I like the space. Who could not LOVE this?? Lovely goodies and gorgeous QAL quilt. Now please can we have another QAL from you and Jennifer??

Elisa Black said...

Your Across The Sea quilt looks great! I too have been impressed by the many different interpretations of it that I've seen and I've really liked them all. I love the stacked blocks idea for the baby quilt. Maybe you can use colored thread and do something with the quilt stitching to give that white area more life-- but I don't actually have any ideas. Maybe blocks with letters on them? Love your Little Apples-- just keep them laid out like that and admire them for a bit. And your swap parcesls are just wonderful-- enjoy!!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I love how your Across the Sea quilt turned out! So fun! And your baby quilt looks fab, too, I think you could definitely sell it. I love the movement of the baby blocks, great job!

Toni said...

You had some fabulous partners in this swap! Everything they have made is so fun. I love the quilt top! Very fun design and colors, and I could totally see someone buying it. I do have to say that with all the white I would likely not use it as a stroller blanket because I am pretty awful about letting them slide down and get caught under the tires!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Oh great swap packages! that's so fun. I love the quilt top. I would keep going with it. You can keep it for a baby not yet here or even donate it for a fundraiser or charity.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Love the baby quilt - keep going!!

CityHouseStudio said...

Sarah, I love the baby boy quilt -- it's such a cute idea!
You could definitely sell it. Or write up a pattern for it, and sell that.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Loving your 'stuff'. The blocks quilt is lovely, but mucky babies, especially boys will ruin it!! It would look cool on a nursery wall though, so carry on, add a couple of hanging loops or a sleeve and sell sell sell! xx

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Great packages, and that quilt..seriously Sarah, I think it would sell, especially if you can get it to a craft fair or shop where people can see it. It's lovely, the idea of the tower of bricks is fun, especially as there are things to spot in the bricks. Don't worry about the white, when it's quilted it'll make a perfect gift.

Unknown said...

I love your quilts. For awhile I have been contemplating starting a quilt. It's a bit daunting. I knew I preferred something a bit different. I love your plain and simple backgrounds. I stumbled upon your blog while surfing for fabrics. Any tips on where to find fabric in Ireland?

Sweetester1 said...

Great quilts. You may be able to personalize the white space for the person you'll be giving it to.

Jessica Kelly said...

love your across the sea quilt, that came together so nicely. I just love the baby block quilt! Such a fun idea. My only concern would be that its white, and would get dirty very easily. I do love it though, I would finish it, perhaps sell it, or even donate it to a charity or something? Or...what if you did some applique letters in the baby's name for the upper left corner to eat up some space, I bet if you fill in that corner the white wouldn't bother you as much. I definitely recommend seeing it through though!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

I love that tower of blocks quilt- it's fantastic!
It would be a wonderful wall hanging or a stroller quilt- yes, the white might get dirty but quilts are meant to be loved and used so that's OK.
It is a fabulous design!

Roslyn said...

The block quilt looks great. Don't be so hard on yourself!

Ella said...

The quilt looks fab...and it will look even better quilted and crinkly. Keep going with it!

Katie B said...

I'm in love with your tower of blocks quilt! Definitely go for it. (And as the mother of a particularly dirty little boy, the white wouldn't bother me.)

diana said...

Are you kiddin' me? :) I love the tower blocks quilt! The moment I saw it, without reading anything [of course I look at the pics first :D] , the first thing that came into mind was: I wanna make one too :)

Katy Cameron said...

That building blocks quilt is a great idea, sure someone will go for it :o)

Can understand the temptation of the apples though... :oD

The Thompsons said...

I think the building blocks is adorable!

Dawn said...

I love the stacked blocks quilt. I would probably change the background color if it going to be used a lot. I would make one too.

felicity said...

The tower of blocks are ADORABLE. It would *definitely* sell as a pattern. Go for it! :)

tusen said...

Your Across the Sea quilt is great.
I love the building blocks too. I wouldn't worry about the white background too much. If it's going to be used it's going to get dirty no matter what colour it is ;)

Kirsten said...

Love the building blocks idea Sarah!

mollie said...

Can you please share a tutorial for the tumbling blocks quilt!? It's wonderful!!! And I can't wait to see what you make with the Little Apples-- I just received my stash of Little Apples this week as well! Have fun

Bree said...

Your building block quilt is great! I think it's adorable. I can see how all that white would get dirty with kids, but that's why it's washable! Maybe if you make another you could use a darker solid? I wouldn't change anything else.

As far as what to do with that one, I'm sure you could sell it. Or else maybe you could hold on to it to give as a gift?

Sandy said...

Everything looks wonderful, you take being busy and productive to a whole new level!

Camille said...

The tumbling blocks is adorable! I would definitely sell that. Maybe put in sleeve for a wall hanging in case the owner didn't want to dirty it up.

Maybe you could make another one for the original recipient but use a patterned background? It's such a perfect design for a baby blanket!

These across the sea quilts are so beautiful! I keep seeing them all over bloggy land and its making me want to make one!

Leanne said...

The blocks quilt is wonderful, as is your Across the Sea quilt! And I wonder what you will make with that amazing pile of little apples? You also had wonderful partners in that swap, such nice packages.

Lynne said...

You did very well, didn't you?

I like your quilt but agree, there may be just a little too much white for practicality. I'm sorry, I have no suggestions.