Sunday, November 27, 2011

Matryoshka Quilt finish

Matryoshka quilt rolled up 

So, apart from my post yesterday, you didn't even know I was working on this one, right? That's because I started it last Monday night and finished it a couple of hours ago. Madness! I can't believe I got this quilt done in a week, just shows what you can do when you set your mind to it. But I am TIRED! And my neck is sore from sitting at the machine all week. I think, once I have this post done, I'll be taking myself off to the living room and reading the Sunday papers in front of the fire for the afternoon.

Matryoshka quilt front full view


 So, the Matryoshka quilt....... well, this is one of my favourite quilts I've ever made I think. I love the fabrics, I love the simplicity of the construction and design. I love the colour palette. The quilt inspiration was from the big Kokka Matryoshka print and I pretty much stuck to the key colours in that - red, pink, green, brown and cream. I love the size, this one is BIG at 73" x 67".

Matryoshka quilt front detail 2 

It's got great weight, a lovely squashy texture and will be perfect for snuggling under, laying on a bed, whatever little O, my friend Helen's niece, wants to do with it. It's a little girl quilt, not a baby quilt, and definitly one she will grow into.
I used a few different Matryoshka prints in different colours, as the Russian theme was important for this quilt. I also used lots of Japanese prints, which compliment them beautifully. The square-within-a-square charms come from Cindy's Japanese import charm swap back in the summer and lots of the other Japanese prints come from Pippablue in Galway who have an amazing selection of them.

Matryoshka quilt folded hanging on swing


The back is pieced from super wide strips of pink and white gingham that Helen gave me, and a print from the California Dreamin range, which I got at a madly discounted price in a sale recently - I think it worked out at less than €3 a yard!!

Matryoshka quilt back

It is very funky and busy but the gingham paired with it makes it really work - I think it looks fresh and pretty and makes a cute backing.

Matryoshka quilt back detail


This is the biggest quilt I've made so far and I don't think I could go much bigger than this without having to take it off somewhere else to baste it. Plus quilting it was tough work at times, although I found that piling the quilt in my lap when I was quilting it really helped to manage the weight of it, much more than letting the kitchen table take the weight of it, which was causing a big drag on the needle. I used a champagne coloured Aurifil thread for the top, and white Gutterman cotton for the back and went with a large scale stipple.

Matryoshka quilting detail 

I am happy to report that I remained delighted with the spray basting and ran into no problems with it, it really was great.

Matryoshka quilt front detail

The binding is a cotton poplin that I have in my stash, having previously using it as a backing fabric. I think that it is working ok here!

Matryoshka quilt binding


So, there it is. Ready to be washed and dried and put in the post to Helen on Tuesday, in time for O's birthday. Now, I'm off to that sofa. I may, just may, pull myself off it to make chocolate brownies with the kids later on. But I'm not sharing any!!

Matryoshka quilt draped on chair

Linking up, as always to the talented ladies over at {Sew} Modern MondayManic Monday and Fabric Tuesday.

39 comments:

Karen said...

Very pretty. I love the simple block design. I am sure this quilt will be loved and treasured.

Leanne said...

I love it! You have done such a wonderful job of picking fabrics and the few square in square blocks give it just enough interest. And that was a very fast quilt in the making!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Absolutely brilliant!! Amazing what 'you' can achieve in less than a week - I, on the other hand am in slow-mo, but one bionic twin is ok xxx

Judith, Belfast said...

Gorgeous! Well done with the quilting, I'm sure the spray basting helped. Jxo

Little Island Quilting said...

Lovely mix of colours.

Courtney said...

this turned out beautiful! I just love the back too, the gingham with the funky stripe is just perfect!

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Sarah it looks great. I love the colours you have choosen too. I know what you mean about the size of the quilt. I only straight stitch if I have a quilt this big.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

It's beautiful. The colors are great and I'm glad to hear you had more success with the spray basting.

http://thankfullga447 said...

You worked hard on it and you did in such a short time. The pattern is great and fabric is what makes it you do it.

Annabella said...

It`s so stunning Sarah - as with all your quilts, I love everything about it. The simple design allows the gorgeous fabrics and Russian theme to shine and while girly it isn`t girly girly and as you say, the little girl will grow with her quilt. How big are the blocks - about 8.5? May have to shamelessly copy you!

Katy Cameron said...

Oh, that looks absolutely fab, well done you! You definitely deserve that paper now, and a drink!

Canadian Abroad said...

Love the quilt. But you always have a good eye for colour and this one works perfectly. There will be one very happy little girl pouring over it, picking out her favourite fabrics. Now, go eat a brownie and have a glass of wine. You earned it!

Susan said...

Oh my! I can see why you are loving this quilt! The colours are so lovely together, letting the fabrics take pride of place! I'm pinning this one!

Lindsay Conner said...

This is super cute, Sarah! Love those dolls and the other fabrics you chose.

pippablue said...

Love, love, love it! You did a fabulous job doing it in a week!!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

What a great quilt - I can't believe you've done this in less than a week!!

Inspiredbyfelix said...

Just perfect, I love the girly but grown up colours and the backing print is fab, can't believe you got such a bargain! x

Longvacation said...

Beautiful quilt, love the colors

Lisnaweary Quilts said...

This is a gorgeous quilt! I especially like your backing - its so pretty!

Kirsten said...

Such a beautiful quilt Sarah - she will love it!!!

Kelli said...

I love it. Its my favorite colors and so fum. Great job and glad it went so quick for you!

Anonymous said...

Aaaah I LOVE this! Just as well I live so far away or I might have been tempted to highjack that mail ;)

Kristie said...

It's lovely, Sarah :) Great job!

Toni said...

I can totally see why this would be a favorite! Love the colors and mix of fabrics! You've been quite the super-quilter this past week!

felicity said...

Beautiful work, Sarah! Simple but effective - the design really lets those wonderful fabrics sing.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I love this quilt and can't believe you have finished it so quickly.

Rhonda the Rambler said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love it! something to be proud of for sure!

Jessica Kelly said...

This quilt is so so great Sarah! Such a perfect way to show off all those awesome prints. Yay for getting it finished so quickly!!

Cindy said...

Absolutely beautiful finish (in record time!). So beautiful, S!

Teje said...

Hi! Your new quilt is really beautiful! I love your colours - unique and lovely! Pink and green have magic together and a little bit brown is good! Great work and you made it so quickly!

Linda Coleman said...

Oh Sarah, what a beauty. I love those russian dolls.

SewHappyGeek said...

Oh she's gonna love it! you did a wonderful job! I'd find it hard to part with a quilt that lovely! I am intrigued about the poplin, you say you didn't have any trouble with it as binding or backing? I've only ever used regular quilt cotton but I like your binding a lot and there's a local shop who does cotton poplin for £3per m...hmmm I see a shopping opportunity?

Lucy | Charm About You said...

LOVE! Gorgeous fabrics and the quilting looks fantastic :)

Helen said...

Sarah, the Matryoshka Quilt you made for me is absolutely stunning. It is everything I hoped for and more. My little niece will adore it and it will be something she can continue to treasure as she grows up.
The Matryoshka fabrics perfectly suit her personality, as she is my little Russian Princess. I love your choice of colours and textures and the Japanese fabrics really enhance and complement the central Russian theme.
The only problem I have is that I want to keep it for myself! Thank you so much Sarah, as always your designs are new, exciting and made with love.

Megan said...

Beautiful finish! And one week? You go girl! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

Erin @ Invisible Girl said...

I love the fabrics you chose! Very pretty!

Sis-O said...

A+ on this quilt!

Sheila said...

What a lovely quilt Sarah - no wonder you took to the couch after this speedy achievement. What wadding do you use?

Sheila said...

What a lovely quilt Sarah, no wonder you took to the sofa after such a speedy achieveent!
Which wading do you use?