Saturday, November 19, 2011

Quilty Love......

It's getting to that time of year again when its practically impossible to get decent photos. During the week its pitch black by the time I get home from work, and even at the weekends the daylight tends to be cloudy, grey and miserable, even when its not raining. The rain stopped this afternoon for a few minutes and I ran out to the garden with hubbie in tow to try to get some pics of my latest quilt top which is just too big to get an indoor photo of.


This is my red, pink and aqua quilt from my Winter Stitching list and is for our friends' baby girl...just in time for Christmas! It's more of a toddler/child size quilt than a baby quilt but that is the way its intended.

I really love this combo of colours, I think its my absolute favourite at the moment. And, because its my fave, I had a huge range of fabrics to choose from in my stash and my scrap basket - so much so that I would say I only cut 2/3 of what I had pulled for it!  Some of my last scraps of particular lines went into this one, and the tiny inner squares were perfect to use up the small pieces I had saved. I went with a square within a square type design for it (although some of the internal "squares" are actually rectangles!) and used 3 different block designs to bring interest and movement to the quilt.




I previously posted pics of some of the blocks - many of which are fussy cut to make the best use of the prints I had. Don't they work well together? Two of the block designs have the internal square/rectangle off-centre, which actually worked great because I could move and turn them around to have the same blocks side by side but with a completely different look.


I am going to use some of my lovely IKEA hearts fabric to back it, although I need to add a fabric column to it to get it wide enough - going to use some large fabric blocks in the front colours for this. Once I have that done, I'm ready to baste it. I have a big can of 505 basting spray that I got from Janette in River Fabrics and I absolutely can't wait to try it out on this one. It will be my first time spray basting, so wish me luck! I'm slightly nervous as I have the pinning down to a fine art at this stage and hope the spray basting works ok.

I'm planning to free motion quilt in my usual meandering stipple, although I'm thinking of trying some hearts in the quilting pattern like Jessica did in this quilt - I'm thinking that would be perfect for a baby girl!


I'm also pretty much done with my Christmas runner swap items. I just need to handsew the binding to the back and handfinish the little ornaments tonight in front of the fire so it will be all ready for the post office on Monday morning.

Hope you're having a great weekend :-)

25 comments:

Gill said...

Gorgeous! I love the colours!
I look forward to seeing you spray baste it as I've never done a large quilt,only small projects!

Annabella said...

Congrats on your thousandth follower!! Lovely baby quilt and I like baby quilts the baby can grow into otherwise apart from a roll or tow, it doesn`t get used!

Sarah said...

Really gorgeous quilt! Love the fussy cutting too :-)

Judith, Belfast said...

Congrats on reaching the big 1000!! Lovely quilt btw! Once you've got the hang of basting spray, you won't look back to pinning ever again, promise! Jxo

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's wonderful - makes me want to go through my scraps! 1000 followers - fabulous!!!!

Catherine said...

gorgeous quilt and lovely colours. I got a can of spray baste recently and can't wait to give it a go, so look forward to seeing how you get on too!

Cindy said...

it's gorgeous! beautiful make, Sarah! your friends will be super thrilled with this lovely.
i'm having the same issues taking photos lately. it's killing me!
PS blogger hates my comments today. sorry for the odd sign-on.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

That really is a beautiful quilt - hope you get that spraying done OK - it is the best way, trust me twinnie !!
Wow, Helen the eagle-eyes - 1000!

quilterbell said...

Beautiful, I love the colour combination!.

Susan said...

This has turned out beautifully! Good luck with the 505 spray! I've never used it but everyone says it's great!

made by me yesterday said...

:) i'm in love!!!
gorgeous quilt!!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

It is beautiful Sarah. I just love it and the colors are perfect. I especially like the fussy cuts in the middle blocks- I am sure it will be well-loved! xo

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Oh Sarah I know how you feel about the light..It can be very frustrating. Love the quilt though..the fabric you have chosen have really worked well together.

Lynne said...

It looks lovely - looking forward to seeing it after you quilt it!

SewHappyGeek said...

Such a lovely quilt top! I so adore aqua, red & pink together. Well done!

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Very pretty, great job. Can't wait to see the ikea heart backing. sounds cute! Good luck with the spray basting, it's my favorite!

Manda said...

That is totally gorgeous! Love those colours! :)

Canadian Abroad said...

I love this colour combo too. Great quilt and it will be loved for years to come!

Leanne said...

The quilt is wonderful! I am interesting in how you like spray basting, I love my pins.

felicity said...

Very, very cute!!

Kritta22 said...

What a fanastic quilt!!! Great job!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Such as gorgeous quilt!! The colours and design are fab! I'd be interested to know how the spray basting goes, I've never done it before either but am tempted :)

tusen said...

oh, I understand very well what you mean about the photos, it's this time of year here, too.
Still, your quilt looks lovely against the grey sky.
Keeping my fingers crossed for the spray basting - let us know how you liked it.

Kelli said...

It is so pretty!!! I would love it for me, so I'm sure Baby and her family will love it very much. Great job on the different blocks, they do work so well together.
I have spray basted once and thought it worked well. I did get a couple of bubbles where I didn't get it smooth enough, but that was due to impatience on my part more than anything else I believe. Good luck with it!

Katy Cameron said...

Ooh, it looks fab, love the fussy cut centres, and I'm sure the heart fabric on the back will look great