Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Merry Quiltmas!

Ta Dah! My Christmas quilt is done!

Christmas quilt closeup


This one is for snuggling under watching DVDs with the kids during the holiday season. It also adds nicely to our decorations in our living room.

I made this quilt with the modern Christmas charms from Emily's swap a few weeks back. I added some white solid and cut the pieces using my Drunkard's path die.

DSCN3818


After having some difficulty piecing them, I asked for advice and got tonnes of comments pointing me in the directions of great tutes, so thank you everyone, I really appreciated all your help.


I can't thank Leanne enough though - when she saw my cry for help, she went off and recorded a video tute and posted it on her blog - how fab was that? It made my day :-) And, better still, her method of piecing the drunkard's path is super quick, super easy and requires no pinning. After a few trial ones, I flew through them, piecing perfectly every time! Alas, I was a bit silly when pressing ironing the pieced squares and managed to distort more than a few by ironing rather than pressing. Still, I don't think they turned out too badly at all!

Christmas quilt on chair

The centre block was quite small when I was done, so I added some borders to bring it up to 50" x 50" - a nice size for the sofa and not too big!

It's backed with some Joel Dewberry Deer Valley, and I bound it with the same blue as one of the borders which I think works really well.

Christmas quilt draped on chair


I did a large scale stipple on this quilt and it was a pleasure to quilt something of a manageable size after a few big quilts.

Christmas quilt binding


Washed and dried, it is ready just in time, with my little lady finished up Montessori today for the holidays, and my little man finishing school tomorrow.

Christmas quilt finished

31 comments:

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It looks wonderful and how nice of Leanne to do a tutorial just for you! I'll try her method the next time I'm making DP blocks!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

So gorgeous!! You showed those curves who's boss! :)

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

It is totally Fabulous!!!!! I think that is the most beautiful festive quilt I've ever seen!

Leanne said...

Your quilt is wonderful! I really like the borders you have used on this one and it looks so soft for cuddling. Glad to help with the video.

Rachel said...

Your quilt looks fabulous Sarah! Very festive!

Lynne said...

Congratulations on a great finish with a little bit of help from Leanne! How wonderful that she would do that!

Jessica Kelly said...

It turned out beautifully! I have a drunkards path quilt I want to work on coming up, and will definitely be giving the no pinning a try! Merry Christmas and happy snuggling :-)

Rhonda the Rambler said...

You rocked it Miss Sarah! Great job...that Leanne is quite the gal...ain't she!

Needled Mom said...

It is beautiful! Nice job on those circles.

Laura said...

So Cute

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Sarah! Well done for persevering, it looks wonderful!

Sarah said...

Lovely! All those circles... scary... but lovely done!

Svetlana said...

Oh, so amazing!!! Love it

Miranda said...

It's beautiful! Very festive :)

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

it looks fantastic! Great work. And thanks for asking about the curves. I was checking out all the hints too and it really helped with my double wedding ring!

Gill said...

Sarah this quilt is fabulous! I love it!
Drunkards Path is on my to-do list for next year!
Happy Christmas!

Deb said...

That's a beautiful quilt. I love the colours in it.

Susan said...

This is gorgeous! ANd the little sneak of the back makes it perfect!

Canadian Abroad said...

It looks fabulous! Great holiday quilt and I like that you used the Christmas charms as there is a little bit of me and so many others in there. Enjoy the holidays!!

quilterbell said...

It looks fantastic Sarah, well done!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Aaah you have my Wise Man's outfit for backing - good call.
Lovely Christmas quilt xxx

Judith, Belfast said...

Beautiful quilt S! Great way of using those charms! Still haven't put mine to work yet! Jxo

Katherine said...

Gorgeous quilt! Looks perfect for some holiday snuggle time... enjoy. :o) Happy holidays to you and yours!

Katy Cameron said...

Glad you were able to master the drunks in the end, looks fab!

Laura said...

Love it!!! Merry Christmas Sarah!

felicity said...

Beautiful!!

pippablue said...

It is so gorgeous. I love how all the diferent prints from the swap ended up looking great together. What a fantrastic addition to your Christmas traditions and decorations!

Shanea said...

Simply stunning! Happiest Christmas wishes to you~

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Love everything about it! The backing is perfect, love that line! DP blocks are my favourite since I did the QAL and Leanne's method is exactly how I did mine! So quick and easy and no pins!!!

Heidi Grohs said...

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!! Merry Christmas!

It is utterly fabulous!!!

Nicky said...

Fabulous - but you knew that already! I am really inspired to have a go myself ! Thanks Sarah!