Monday, June 4, 2012

Little Apples "Stained" baby quilt

I've very excited to have a new quilt finish to show you. It feels like the longest time since I actually finished a quilt - a proper quilt, not a mini or a mug rug. It feels good :-)

Little Apples Stained quilt finished


So, here is my "Stained" quilt done. This was completed as part of Sarah's quiltalong, and in some very good company. It's really interesting to see how the different quilts have turned out - that's always my fave bit of a quiltalong. Same pattern, vastly different finishes.

You will know, from reading my earlier ramblings about this quilt, that I have had mixed feelings about it all the way through. Mostly because of that yellow sashing. Now that its all finished and done, I am very happy with it. I still have a little reserve about it, but I think it works, and I think it is lovely and cheerful and happy. Really, the only reserve I  have is that yellow is not my favourite colour and was a bit of a risky choice for me, but that is purely a matter of personal taste.

Little Apples Stained quilt closeup2


I love the detail in the various Little Apples prints - the clothes, the little people, the trees, the little hedgehogs - they are super cute and perfect for a little lady. I think that this fits the brief of not being too girlie - and is the furthest thing from pink - but it still will work really nicely for a little girl.

The other thing I learned when making this quilt was not to use lightweight cotton/poplin for sashing! The yellow is much lighter than the Little Apples fabric, and this did cause me some problems piecing the blocks together, and particularly when basting, it stretched like mad in the strangest of places. The result is a little unintentional wonkiness in the seams - they are not perfectly straight but wobble in lots of places. Ah well, I think it adds to the charm.

Little Apples Stained quilt closeup


I quilted it in a free motion stipple. Because of the aforementioned basting difficulties the quilting was a little bit challenging at times, and there is definitely a lot of differing stitch length going on in there, but it is overall ok. I'm hoping the recipient will look at the overall picture and not examine my stitching in detail! I added in some loops and little hearts for a little girl. 

Little Apples Stained quilt heart quilting

I used a lovely cheerful Ikea cotton on the back, I really like this hearts print. It's colourful and girlie, a little like the front, without being too in your face.

Little Apples Stained Quilt with backing


The binding is Kona Coal and I like how it frames the yellow, it seems to balance it a bit.

Little Apples Stained quilt rolled up


All in all, I am pretty much pleased with this one :-) The final quilt measured up at 45" x 55", a perfect child size quilt. Thanks Sarah for a great pattern, I really enjoyed piecing this one. 

Little Apples Stained Quilt closeup3


29 comments:

Anonymous said...

the quilt looks great! i love the yellow with the little apples, it's an unexpectedly pretty combination.

my4lilgirls said...

Its an absolute stunner, love it
Karen x

Canadian Abroad said...

I love the yellow even if you don't, Sarah. And I just sat here thinking of what other colour could have been used and couldn't come up with anything that would have worked as well. Hope the recipient loves it as much as I do.

Jessica said...

Beautiful! I actually really like the wonkiness :) And the yellow is so unique.

TeenaBugg38 said...

I love this! The colors are so bright and cheerful! You are one talented lady!!

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love how the quilt turned out, I just have to put the binding on my Little Apple quilt and it will be done. I love the stained glass pattern.

Richard Healey said...

I love that material and the quilt is fantastic.

http://richardquilts.blogspot.com

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

this turned out so pretty and I love the yellow

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's fabulous, well done!

Cherie said...

That looks incredible! The yellow works so well with the Little apples prints! =D

Susan said...

I've loved this from the moment you chose the yellow! it is stunning and the grey binding is perfect too!

Catherine said...

It looks fantastic Sarah, love the colours and the quilting is fabulous

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Sarah, I think it looks wonderful. I like the yellow dot sashing a lot and the backing is perfect. You did a marvelous job my friend!

Katie B said...

I really can't imagine it without the yellow Sashing! It's such a charming quilt.

Pile O Fabric said...

I love the yellow sashing, this is so unique, awesome job!

felicity said...

It's absolutely wonderful, yellow and all. It really works.

Di said...

I like the yellow sashing and this has ended up as a really pretty quilt. Di x

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

I think it looks great - even if I do say so myself!!
It goes perfectly with the backing - all lovely xxx

Mareenchen said...

It's turned out absolutely lovely. I understand your reservations about yellow because I usually share them, but in this quilt and with the coal binding - I love it! I'd cuddle up under it any day.

Laura said...

What a beautiful quilt! I share your reservations about yellow, but it really compliments the print so perfectly that it's not overwhelming.

Lovely pattern and lovely quilting :)

Rhonda the Rambler said...

It turned out great. The yellow ended up being a great decision. Simply amazing!

barbara woods said...

great quilt love those colors

Kirsten said...

So beautiful - love the yellow sashing!

Katy Cameron said...

Woohoo, it looks fab, love how it came out!

Photosarah Crafts said...

The colors in this quilt are great! I love it.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Oh it's lovely! Motivation to work on mine!

KatieQ said...

The quilt looks great. The backing is bright without overwhelming the prints on the front. I am not usually a fan of yellow, but I really like the way it looks.

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Awww,it's such a cute baby quilt with the polka dot "dividers", I love it!

Lynne said...

It turned out well despite your reservations! I have to say, when I first read that you used yellow and saw the photos, I wasn't convinced. But I'm glad you persevered because it worked well!