Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Gandalf....in stitches!


A few weeks ago my youngest brother sent me a link to a page he had come across containing all sorts of cross stitch patterns. A lot of them were for superhero types and I had a lot of fun looking down through them. Then I came to a Lord of the Rings pattern for the fellowship of the ring and just had to go off trying to source it.

Sure enough, I soon did:



                                                                     Source: etsy.com via FairyFace on Pinterest


I bought the pattern from weelittlestitches on Etsy and I'll definitely be back for more. They have the coolest range of patterns including one from The Princess Bride which I just have to make for a friend of mine.

Cross stitch is something I've always wanted to do a little bit of, but the patterns in my local craft shop seem to be mostly aimed at little old ladies. So when I got this into my hands I was thrilled, being a Lord of the Rings fanatic. It took a little while for the right fabric to come into stock, but I got some last week and yesterday I started stitching, with Gandalf.


Doesn't he look cool? For my 2nd cross stitch ever, I'm pretty happy with him although I messed up a little on the thread and used a wrong colour gray in the middle of his cloak. But Gandalf was cool so I'm not sure he'd mind!

Can't wait to get back to it later today. Plus I must finish the binding on my Princess Charming quilt. Hope you had a lovely weekend!

20 comments:

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

Sarah, it's totally cool! I love LOTR! Gandalf totally looks like Gandalf! :) The next most recognizable on the picture is Gimli :)) Great finding by your brother :))

my4lilgirls said...

Oh I love it, the fellowship of the ring, I'm a total Lord of the Rings freak, this is so cute
Karen x

Toni said...

That is so much cooler than what you usually see as cross-stitch! And The Princess Bride? Can't wait to see that one!

tusen said...

Wow, Sarah, this is so cool, thanks for sharing. Your Gandalf looks great.

BendingPins.com said...

Aren't they great? I purchased the IT Crowd about a month ago but haven't done anything with it yet. If you haven't see the British series, it's a riot!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Totally brilliant!

Sarah said...

So cool!

Jennifer Mathis of Ellison Lane said...

Looks awesome friend!

Taryn V. said...

Thanks so much for linking to this! I struggle finding things to make my husband sometimes and this is perfect!

Canadian Abroad said...

It's brilliant, but I am hiding it from the girls because they will be demanding one otherwise!

**nicke... said...

"YOU SHALL NOT PAAAAASSSSS!!!"

awesome! i love this so much!

Jessica said...

Oh my god - this is perfection. I also LOVE LOTR! Great job!

Katy Cameron said...

Hee hee, love him!

Cherie said...

Haha that is so awesome! =D

Anonymous said...

Absolutely brilliant and kinda sadly cute - although pretty sure that Gandalf would be annoyed at that. HRL

Leanne said...

People think that quilting is for little old ladies too. You can make most anything with cross stitch, I used to do a lot. I love Gandalf!

Mrs.Pickles said...

super cute!

Wendy said...

This is fab, great second cross stitching effort! There are so many modern patterns out there these days, it's not all for old ladies!

Thanks for putting me on to the shop, my husband is a Princess Bride fanatic and I'd love to cross stitch the characters up for a present - the only problem will be finding time to stitch it, it'll have to be when he's out!

KatieQ said...

Your Gandalf looks great. Thanks for the link to the shop. She has lots of great things. I haven't tried counted cross stitch, but this might convince me to try. "Have fun storming the castle."

Ellen said...

He IS cool! What a great find, and you did a lovely job.