Saturday, July 28, 2012

Princess Charming is done!



It's so lovely to have a quilt finish to celebrate. Feels like my first finish in ages - even though I know I have had other projects in the last couple of months - but this was a quick turnaround and one I had a lot of fun with.



Princess Charming turned out just as lovely as I hoped. She is free motion quilted in a very random stipple and the simple pattern and quilting leaves the emphasis on the charms and lets the fabrics shine through.






I left a blank row in the quilt top for the baby's name, Aisling, to be embroidered, and I did this using a dark pink perle cotton, using stem stitch which is lovely for outlining letters (thanks to my sister for this tip!) I then appliqued on some hearts on either side of the name. 


For those not familiar with Irish names, Aisling (pronounced Ash-ling) is a beautiful girl's name meaning a dream or vision.


I used some more of my lovely Ikea hearts print for backing - I love this print, it is so colourful and yet the design is simple, and its perfect for the back of a quilt like this with all those hearts.


I am using my little labels now on all my stuff - love how it looks on the back of my quilts:


The binding is the same as the fabric bordering the name space. I love this little red and pink floral, its one of my favourite stash fabrics which I got from my friend H.


This measures about 38" x 50" - a good size for a cot/toddler bed. I tried a new batting for this one - Simply Cotton - which I bought from Pippablue. I really liked it and it shrank beautifully giving it a lovely crinkly texture. It was great value so I'll definitely be using it again.


I don't have much more to tell you about this quilt - all the info about the pattern etc is in this post. As I'm feeling so happy with it, I'm just glad I managed to take advantage of a little burst of sunshine in between the frequent showers this afternoon!


P.S. Thank you all for your lovely congratulations and good wishes on my last post, we are very excited about our new addition to the family and all your comments meant so much to me :-)

29 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Oh it's gorgeous, and glad you got some sun to show it off in :o)

Charlotte said...

Beautiful quilt. Do you do the free motion quilting or do you have someone else to do it? My mother does hand quilting but I like the way this looks.

Little Dotty Bird said...

Gorgeous! love all the beautiful fabrics and the freehand stitching on top. Lisa :)

Susan said...

This is so pretty! The name Aisling is lovely- a taught a girl by that name many years ago and she was a sweet thing! The backing to great- I don't think I've seen that one down under?

Leanne said...

This quilt is wonderful! I am slowly catching up to the internet so have just read your news. Congratulations, how wonderful!

Cherie said...

Gorgeous quilt! The colours and prints make it so adorable! Loving the quilting and washed effect =D

Fiona @ Poppy Makes said...

Oh that quilt is just beautiful!
I missed your last post, Congratulations!!!

TeenaBugg38 said...

I am in awe! This is just beautiful!!

Kati from Kati's Quilting said...

How adorable this quilt came out! I love the way you handled the embroidery part! And the wrinkles, I'd like to cuddle up with it right now! She has such a beautiful name, I love it :))) Thanks so much for sharing, it was so nice to see the way it progressed.

felicity said...

Super gorgeous!!

Katie B said...

So beautiful! I love the addition of the name.

Ashley said...

loving this!! beautiful work.

Quilterbell said...

It is beautiful Sarah!, well done!.

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

Really gorgeous quilt! Aisling was one of my shortlisted names for my little girl, so sweet!

Dianne Neale said...

Another lovely finish. The name and hearts are a great idea. And I'm off to Ikea to buy some of that heart fabric - if it's still there!

Wendy said...

what a beautiful quilt, it really is gorgeous!

Judith, Belfast said...

Congrats S on your wonderful news! I'm sure you'll enjoy planning some new baby projects to make. jxo

Annabella said...

It`s really stunning Sarah - and yea for a ta dah reveal and a quick finish.

Lynette said...

Woohoo!! That turned out fantastic - Love her name in there with the hearts - gorgeous Irish name. She's going to be thrilled. :D

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It's beautiful! I love the strip with her name on!!

Jessica Kelly said...

So cute Sarah! Love the embroidery, what a sweet baby girl quilt!

Elaine said...

I've been behind on my blog reading and just read your exciting news! Congrats!!! I hope you are feeling well!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

This looks beautiful. I love Aisling's name, too

Nat at Made in Home said...

Absolutely beautiful, I love the addition of th ename - so special!

Lynne said...

Ver pretty indeed.

Kristie said...

Love how this turned out! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, first of all I love your work. Secondly, I was wondering where you got your labels. Did you get them here in Ireland?

Lou said...

Hi Sarah, first of all I love your work. Secondly, I was wondering where you got your labels. Did you get them here in Ireland

Christine said...

Absolutely gorgeous! We had actually picked the name Aisling if we were having a girl but we're having a boy so that name will go into our back pocket... maybe for next time :) Congratulations!