Sunday, September 2, 2012

Pretty {little} pouch done!

This weekend I managed a little bit of sewing. Top on my list was my swap items for Geraldine and my pouch for Round 5 of the Pretty {little} pouch swap.


I'm not showing any pictures of my WIP on Geraldine's goodies as I want them to be a surprise. But suffice to say I made a lot of headway and hope to get them in the post to her early this week. I already received her doll quilt but will keep the reveal until I can show mine too.

I also managed to get finished my pouch. I had the front and back done last week  so it was a case of getting the lining finished and the pouch assembled. For the back, I wanted to do something less structured and traditional patchwork than the front to give a more whimsical look. I played around with lots of different ideas before deciding on this semi-circle of raw edge applique. The quilting was an after thought, to be honest, but I love how it gives a shell shape and how it "ties" at the bottom.


Pouch back?


For the lining, I really wanted to do a zip pocket in it, to give a secure storage place for needles, scissors, thimbles etc so that it would be really practical for use for hand-sewing or crochet projects. Finally realising that my brain was not really functioning too well (combination of hormones, back to school this week and a rotten head cold) I decided to go to the expert, and I took out my Bag Making Bible book, where, of course, the ever-reliable Lisa had a set of instructions for exactly what I had in mind.

Flush lined zip pocket for my pretty little pouch. Looking better than I hoped!

Hers were for a bigger bag so I did adjust them slightly but they worked perfectly - which was lucky as I didn't have enough of the alphabet fabric for a 2nd try! It gives a nice big roomy pocket, lined in the same Kona Charcoal as the bag exterior. I really like how the alphabet Summersville works as the lining - its a real contrast to the exterior.

Pouch interior

Lining successfully done, all I had to do was run up the seams to complete the construction and ta-dah! It was done.

Pouch front complete

Pouch back complete

I'm really delighted with this pouch - I love how it is essentially double sided and that it is practical too. I tried to incorporate a lot of things she listed as "likes", so hoping it hits the mark. Its winging its way away from me next week and I hope my partner will love it :-)

23 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

What a great bag! I like everything about it and your designs are terrific.

Sophie Belle Designs said...

There isn't a chance that your swap partner won't lOVE that pouch. It's perfect and I love the quilting on it. :)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

What a lovely make - you'll have a chuffed partner for sure (if I don't intercept the posty!) x

Karen said...

Your bag is stunning. I love having a zipper inside the bag. Great patterns and fabrics.

Susan said...

Your partner would be extremely hard to please if they didn't LOVE this! I agree, its perfect!

Cherie said...

Such a gorgeous pouch. I love the designs on both sides of it! What a fun fabric for the lining too =D

Rosa said...

It`s super cool!!

Kirsten said...

So pretty - love both sides and the colourful stitching!

~Kelie~ said...

I Love your pouch!!! Sooo pretty!!!!

Laura said...

Just gorgeous, Sarah. Your partner will love it

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I think I told you on IG...but I love this pouch!

Svetlana said...

such a pretty pouch, I so love the addition of the pocket!

Lynne said...

Very nice indeed!

Canadian Abroad said...

Absolutely amazing! Your partner is so lucky.

Katy Cameron said...

Yay for finishes!

Wendy said...

It's beautiful! I can't decide which side I like best. Lisa Lam's pocket making pattern is brilliant, I use it all the time and just adjust it for the size pocket I want. You'd think I'd be able to do it without the pattern by now, the amount I've made, but I can't!

felicity said...

You SHOULD be delighted - it's beautiful!!

Leanne said...

It is just beautiful!

Nicky said...

You have left your partner no choice - she will have to love it! Can't go wrong with Lisa's advice! A perfect pouch indeed!

Karen said...

Fabulous!!!

Lori said...

I love your pouch, especially how the inside is light in color. Thanks for sharing.

granniegee said...

I love the little pouch. These would make great gifts for all my crafty friends, and even just to drop into a larger bag. I enjoy your blog and your projects, and I follow you on Facebook.

Gina said...

Took the pouch that you made for me to my Modern Quilt meeting today . Had my WIP in it and everyone was commenting on how much they loved it . It definitely was a hit ! And they loved how it was lovely on both sides .
Thank you Sarah
Love Gina x