Saturday, April 6, 2013

Baby boy quilt finish


As well as having my own gorgeous little new baby girl, I also have a new baby nephew, born just 7 weeks before my darling. So, obviously, he needed a quilt from his auntie Sarah. I picked out the fabrics after he was born  - already dreaming of bright and cheerful spring colours with boyish tones - but was unable to do too much with them.

Last week I pulled them out again and very quickly cut and pieced them.




I used Elizabeth Hartman's baby charm quilt pattern and its definitely one I'll be using again for last minute quilts, so simple and easy and because its about 33 x 40, very quick to baste, quilt and bind too. I decided to embroider his name in the bottom corner, using a simple running stitch in perle cotton. I traced his name using washable marker and it worked very well. I fused a small piece of very lightweight interfacing to the back of the fabric before starting to stablise the stitches a little.




After quilting it using a random stipple with some little hearts around his name, I picked a blue heart poplin print for the binding:



And a green hippo print from IKEA for the backing.


And in no time at all, it was done and ready to give to my sister today just in time for his Christening.



It's good to have my sewing mojo (or my sewjo as I saw it referred to during the week!) back again. I'm busy getting my list of projects for quarter 2 of the Finish A Long ready to post on Monday. Hope you're having a great weekend!

19 comments:

Cindy said...

Little boy quilts are difficult, but you absolutely pulled off a beaut! Great pattern and fabrics and the stitched name makes it so personal. Love the little hippos too...I have them in red :)

jeifner said...

Such a cheerful set of colors. What a wonderful boys quilt. Your sister must have been thrilled.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Love the quilt. The pattern really shows of the fabric and hand stitching is a nice touch.

Lisa Lisa said...

Wow! It's so beautiful! Your nephew is a lucky little guy!

Di said...

Lovely quilt and you choose your colours really well. Di x

patchworkdelights said...

Looks grea Sarah. love the hippos very vibrant. Nice idea about stabilising the name, good idea!

Lynette said...

So sweet! I just love his name stitched on there. :)

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Must remember that pattern, Quilt looks fab Sarah. Well done.

Catherine said...

Fabulous quilt, love the fresh colours

Annabella said...

Welcome back Sarah - the baby quilt is fresh and springy and perfect for Matthew.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Nice one Aunty xxx

Nicky said...

What Hadley said!

Katy Cameron said...

Lots of fun, hopefully the sunny fabric will encourage things to warm up!

Kirsten said...

Such a perfect quilt for a baby boy - I just adore those green hippos on the back too!

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

What a sweet quilt! I love te binding!

Quilterbell said...

It is a beautiful quilt Sarah, well done. The hippo fabric is a must have!

Leanne said...

What a beautiful little quilt, I can just see it wrapped around a new baby. And I am glad you are making your Q2 list, I am too.

Lynne said...

Lovely, I bet your sister loved it!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

It's wonderful! Congrats on a great finish! The embroidered name is a lovely touch.