Friday, August 30, 2013

Lilys Quilt finish

 


Thank crunchie its Friday! I have a finish to show you today (yippee!) but as I also have a sick little baby, this post is going to be photo heavy, and light on text.

Briefly - this is a quilt I made for a little toddler called Lily, as a present from her aunt. She wanted something girlie and mentioned reds, pinks and greens as key colours. I started with this charm as the basis for my colours, and the whimsical feel of the quilt, and worked from that as my inspiration.



I think it fits the bill! It's made loosely based on Kristie's McKinley pattern, but I sized it up and made some adjustments to suit what I needed.

 

 And I love the charms I used in this one - all from my scrap bin or my stash. Aren't they pretty?



The hearts are appliqued on and the name is hand embroidered. (I have a tute on hand embroidering names on quilts here if you're interested in finding out more about this technique).


The backing is a poplin hexie print. It looks lovely but those of you who follow me on Instagram (I'm @sewfairyface) will know that the denser weave of the fabric caused me a few quilting headaches. That, and I also think the spray baste caused me some problems, I think I need a new can, the one I have is pretty old. But I do love that hexie fabric.


But despite the difficulty I had quilting it (and you get quilts like that anyway, right? The ones that feel like you're trying to wrestle an uncooperative animal? Every so often I get a quilt that's really difficult to quilt - don't know why, it just happens. Please tell me I'm not alone!) I really am happy with how its turned out.


I love the red dotty binding, I think it frames the charms so nicely.



This measures 44.5" x 55.5", so perfect for a toddler and I will be happy (but sad) to send it off to Lily's aunt over the weekend


Linking up with Finish It Up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.

26 comments:

Nilya said...

What a wonderful quilt, love the hearts and he embroidery sooo much!

Tiffany said...

Love this one - very cute! Hope your little one feels better soon.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Such a sweet quilt Sara

Lynz said...

Not just you! Sometimes a quilt will just be a pig. Your Lily quilt was worth it, though, it is SO super pretty

CapitolaQuilter said...

I've been wanting to add a name to a quilt so thanks for the link to your tutorial. Super sweet finish.

Isisjem said...

Gorgeous quilt! Hope baby is better soon x

Heidi Staples said...

Sarah, this quilt is just adorable. I love the colors -- perfect for a little girl!

Melziebelle said...

LOVE this quilt, esp. the backing it goes beautifully :)
xoxo melzie

Sophie Belle Designs said...

Great quilt Sarah, you bring the colours together beautifully. Lily is one lucky girl.

Unknown said...

Beautiful quilt. The colors are wonderful and all the charms are great. It looks much larger than it measures. Have a great weekend.

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

It looks perfect xxx
Hope the healthy vibes come back soon xxx

Leigh Anne said...

This turned out so lovely! I'm not sure why I don't follow you on Instagram but I'm heading over now to subscribe :)

I definitely know what you mean about uncooperative quilts! They tend to end up UFOs around here LOL

Charo said...

Very cute, Sarah!

Renee said...

oh how cute! I love the little row of hearts!

Lynne said...

So simple but so effective. Well done!

Richard Healey said...

Oh I love the quilt it is fantastic.

Richard and Tanya Quilts
Richard and Tanya Patterns

Katy Cameron said...

Very cute, I'm sure it will be well loved! Hope the wee one feels better soon!

Leanne said...

It is a lovely quilt, and I hope your wee one is better.

Michelle@factotum-of-arts.com said...

very cute and adorable. I love it :-)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

So cute!! The charms are really pretty and the applique and embroidery are adorable. Hope the little one is feeling better soon! x

Judith, Belfast said...

So pretty S! Hope little one feels better soon! Jxo

Very Berry Handmade said...

That's a beauty Sarah - gorgeous!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Beautiful quilt, great job!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

It's perfect. And I hope your little one is feeling better.

Sarah said...

I love so much about your quilt! I just made a baby quilt based around The Simple Life fabrics so the colours in your quilt are singing to me. My favourite part is the red dotty binding. Hope your bub is feeling better.

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

What a beautiful quilt!! Love the colours :)