Friday, November 15, 2013

Scrappy Tiles Baby Quilt

Happy Friday everyone! It's been a while, but I do have a happy quilt finish to share with you today.

My mother-in-law asked me to make a quilt for her to give as a baby present back a few months ago. Last year, when I was pregnant, I spent some time working up a quilt design, but never got to make it. That design was for a big lap size quilt. So when she asked me to make it, I decided it was the perfect time to try out the pattern in a baby size. And here it is, my Scrappy Tiles baby quilt.


This quilt is constructed using a traditional block structure - 12" finished blocks in a 3 x 4 structure. But it's a little bit counter-intuitive when sewing the blocks together, as the white sashing is in the centre of the blocks, and the print tiles on the outsides. In order to match the colours in the tiles, it takes a bit of prep work, planning colour layout and fabric choices. Once that is done, it's super quick to put together.


Lately, I have moved away from primary colours for boys quilts and this is no exception. I really love the colours I used in this - the yellows and oranges balance the greys, greens and blues.  And the overall effect is a little bit soft and muted, which wasn't the original intention, but works really nicely I think. There is a lot of Lotta Jansdotter's Echo line in this quilt, as well as plenty of scraps.


I used the last of my IKEA hippos bolt of fabric for the back. Sadly these aren't available any more - such a pity, they make wonderful quilt backs.



My MIL wanted baby's name on the quilt, so I embroidered it in the bottom right corner as Sam is such a short little name. I think a longer name would probably have had to go on the back.


This quilt was pieced and quilted, as always, with Aurifil 50wt thread. I used pure white here, although I did consider my favourite silvery grey thread too. I originally planned to straight-line quilt this one, but I wasn't loving the effect after the first few lines, so I unpicked and decided to do a random stipple instead. I think it was the right decision. I know straight lines could work really well, but the softness of the stipple against the geometric shapes provides nice contrast. The binding is a grey, dotty poplin.


 The quilt measures 36" x 48" - perfect baby cot size.


I think that I will try and write up a tutorial for this pattern, if people are interested in it. I also want to do the original lap size quilt I planned with it - here is a mock-up of what I originally was working on. I think this would look great with solids and Kona Charcoal as the sashing:


That's a project for another day though, as I have 2 large quilts needing finishing, and the small matter of some keyhole surgery to get over in the next couple of weeks, but hopefully I will be all recovered by Christmas, and I will be happy to put 2013 behind me from a health perspective. In the meantime, I'm happy that Sam received his quilt last week and by all accounts, it was a big hit with mum and dad which is great.


Linking up with Finish It Up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts.

25 comments:

Needle little Balance said...

So sweet!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Lovely, and the mock up looks brilliant too.
Good luck with the poking about xxx

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That's gorgeous! I love the colors as well, it will grow nicely with Sam. :)

KristyLou said...

This turned out really great. I was trying to figure out where the blocks were when I kept reading and you said the sashing was in the middle of each block. So creative.

Monica @ Dandelion Stitching Co. said...

I've been hoping you would make a pattern or tutorial for this!! Love this design!!

knottygnome said...

lovely quilt and very clever the way it's put together! i really like the color scheme.

Cheryl said...

I love the colors you used for a boy. I also lean towards non-traditional primary colors for boys.

Cheryl said...

I love the colors you used for a boy. I also lean towards non-traditional primary colors for boys.

Cheryl said...

I love the colors you used for a boy. I also lean towards non-traditional primary colors for boys.

Miamihoney said...

Looks great! Love the fabric choices.

Georgi said...

What an adorable baby boy quilt! Love your design (and the hippos!)

Catherine said...

What a fabulous quilt

Patti said...

I love your design and your quilt! Can't wait for the tutorial since I'm in need of a nice lap size quilt(for ME!). Glad you're doing well.

Ginette said...

What a great little quilt! I would definitely be interested in a tutorial on this one. I think it is an awesome pattern! Good job!

Christine said...

Beautiful quilt! I would definitely be interested in the pattern.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this quilt and the pattern. Great job on both. The stippling is wonderful. I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to have a tutorial for this one. Did I say I would LOVE to have a tutorial? I so enjoy readying your blog.

Erin @ Billy Button Design said...

Oh yes you need to do a tutorial for the quilt. It's fab

MaryBeth said...

I'd love to see a tutorial on this one. Love it!!

Danih03 said...

I'd be interested in a tutorial! It's very cute!!!

Xandi said...

Yes, a tutorial would be wonderful. I love quilts like this where you can see big blocks of fabric, and the layout is so interesting

Sue H said...

A beautiful quilt, I would love a tutorial for this!

Kat said...

I love it! Great pattern.

Indianna said...

Great way to put together a quilt. I would never have guessed it was 12 inch blocks....you had me going back to see where the blocks where. It might make a great bee block.

Lea said...

I love this, would love to see a tutorial! This will be a treasured keepsake:)

Katy Cameron said...

Love the pattern for this, so long to the hippos...