Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Flowery Finish

I love little pram quilts. They are so sweet and pretty and so practical. My last two babies were winter babies and I got so much use out of little quilts and blankets when we were out and about, I loved having something pretty to put on their prams/car seats/buggies, particularly if it was a little quirky or different.

So when I get the chance to make a pram quilt, I love it. A friend of one of my best friends had a new baby girl before Christmas, and I happily agreed to make a little quilt for her for my friend to gift her. This sweet little retro flowers quilt is the result.


I used 3 Bonnie and Camille prints - 2 from the Scrumptious line, and one from Ruby. The soft pink is an Aneela Hoey print. They all play so nicely together. This was one of those quilts where there was no fretting about fabrics, no fabric auditioning. I made the blue Ruby block first. The next morning when I woke up, I knew exactly what fabrics I wanted to use to work with it. I just love when a quilt top just comes together for you, almost as if you had it in your head all along just waiting to come out.

This was a lovely little block to make and came together quite quickly - possibly because I'm now totally comfortable with curved piecing thanks to Leanne's fabulous tute. I never thought, after my first miserable attempt at curves back in December 2011, I would ever say this about curves, but I really enjoyed sewing those blocks and they came out pretty close to perfect! I used my Accuquilt Go! Baby to cut the curved block pieces using the drunkard's path die - I really love it for those tricky pieces. I'd never attempt blocks like this, or hexies, without it.



I had a soft pink ditsy flower print in my stash for a long long time that I used for the back - its a very soft lightweight cotton, not dissimilar to a lawn, and its beautifully soft as a backing. I quilted it with Aurifil 50wt white thread - I flew through the quilting as its so small, and when I washed it, the shrinkage was just about perfectly giving it a lovely crinkly texture.


The binding is a cotton poplin in a heart print - colour wise its a pink toned red and works nicely with the rest of the colours.


This little quilt measures 30" x 36" and has gone to it's new home where I believe it was very happily received and I hope it gets lots and lots of use.

16 comments:

Tomomi McElwee said...

So pretty, so cute! who can say no to this quilt!

Ali Honey said...

That's a lovely idea for a gift. Thanks for showing us and the link to the curved piecing video.

Linda B said...

It's beautiful. You have such a nice way with colors.

Judith, Belfast said...

Another cutie S! I'm sure it will be loved! Jxo

Katy Cameron said...

Very sweet, I'm sure it'll be loved.

Leanne has the best tute for curves, I sent the Brit Bee girls to see it when they were retro flowering for me!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt - your Retro flowers are so pretty!

margaret said...

a lovely baby quilt

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Perfectly pretty xxx

Amy's Crafty Shenanigans said...

This is beautiful :)

Cindy said...

That's such a great quilt, S. Perfect blocks with the right fabric combo. It will be so loved!

Annabella said...

So pretty and delicate.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

so cute and I love your quilting

Helen Coleman said...

Lovely quilt! I just love your quilting though! Well done! HC

Silvia LGD (Little Green Doll) said...

What a nice quilt! I love the colours :))

Leanne said...

I was telling my brother about how I made that video for you at dinner today, and now I see that you are sewing more curves today. It's a great quilt, I am so glad your curves are perfect and that you keep making more.

Sarah said...

It's lovely! I tend to make bigger quilts for new babies that can be used in their cots, or on their floors, or as bed toppers when they grow into a bed. But, the pram quilt size does seem quite practical. I'll have to consider it next time. Even though my youngest is 5, there seems to be babies coming along everywhere in my family. I must have just been advanced!